Friday 15 July 2011

Sick

When I woke up I looked at the clock and it said 8:30AM, which was weird because our bus leaves at 8AM. I assumed that the time on the clock was wrong, but when I checked my watch it said the same time as the clock. This is not good. The tickets are non-refundable and we have a timetable to adhere to. I tell Rachelle the bad news. I suppose booking the bus for such an early start after a night of celebrating my birthday was a little bit unreasonable, but thinking about that wasn't going to help us now. I left Rachelle in the room and ran out to the travel agency to see if I could book us onto another bus for today. There was a mini-bus service leaving at 12PM with seats available. It was embarrassing when I told them why we missed our bus. At least everything was going to be okay.

We had time for showers and breakfast. Then the mini-bus picked us up at 12PM. We haven't done such a long journey in such a small vehicle before. It was much more comfortable than the other transportation we've been taking; that is, it would have been I think, if Rachelle didn't start feeling very ill after the border crossing. I imagine the way she felt had something to do with her travel sickness and a hangover from last night. She threw up into a plastic bag a few times. Rachelle prayed that she would stop being sick. Literally prayed. She doesn't usually drink enough to warrant these consequences, and she's not dealing with it well.

We get to a petrol station and hordes of mini-buses are queuing up, but not moving. The petrol station had run out of petrol. This would mean major delays in our journey, but it actually came as a blessing for Rachelle. We could get out and sit down, and after an hour of waiting before we could leave again, she had stopped being sick. She still felt terrible, but the worst was over. However, although the person to my right had stopped being sick, when we set off, the person to my left started being horrendously sick. We kept having to stop the bus for him, because it was so bad. For the entire journey I had someone vomiting next to me. 

When we got to Bangkok, it was time to search for a guesthouse. We eventually found one we could afford and once our bags were offloaded into the room it was time for much needed showers. Then we went to The Pizza Company for pizza and especially for the free cola refills. Then we went straight to bed. It was late and it had been a tiring day. Rachelle fell straight to sleep and I watched 'Carrie'. It's a sad film.

No comments:

Post a Comment