Saturday 23 July 2011

Massages And Ladyboys

The weather today is much better than yesterday. The rain has stopped, the ground is dry again, and the grey blanket has thinned. There are still clouds up in the sky, but the sun can get through enough to make it quite warm. For both convenience and cost, we ate at our accommodation’s restaurant. After breakfast we strolled down the beach and found ourselves a nice spot. Again, there was plenty of space, because the beach isn't busy. I find it strange that on all the beaches we've been to in Southeast Asia, people don't seem to occupy them until after lunch. It's a good thing for us; I just find it strange. We sunbathed for two hours even though the sun wasn't especially strong. I read my book; the one I bought from Bangkok the last time we were there.

After lunch we lounged by the pool. It was not the nicest looking pool: The water was a little murky. I went in it anyway. Another couple of hours and Rachelle is feeling restless, wanting to get up and do something. Rachelle likes ice cream, and eating some seemed an adequate endeavour to keep her happy. There is an ice cream parlour that we spotted yesterday and we decide to go there. Rachelle had a chocolate brownie ice cream sandwich and I had a Sundae.

One of the most thriving street-shop businesses in Southeast Asia seems to be massage. They have parlours on every road. Apart from the unwanted massage in the restaurant in Ho Chi Minh (and I don't think it really counts) we haven't had one. I think, however, that it is important we experience a traditional Asian massage in Asia. And so we do. We both opt for the Thai massage. They give me strange baggy bottoms to put on. Rachelle did too, but also received a baggy top. I lie down on a mattress, Rachelle is lying on the one next to me, and a stocky Thai lady begins rubbing, poking and pulling my arms, legs, head and back. I'll admit I was a little scared and kept my eyes closed the entire time, only occasionally peering over at Rachelle to see how hers was getting on. It was an experience, and my body joints cracked a few times, which I presume is a good thing. I don't think I felt much different afterwards though. Maybe the effects can't be felt. To finish, they gave us some kind of herbal drink. The drink was nice. It all lasted about an hour.

At a beach bar we hung out, I read and had a drink. The daily monsoon poured down and we waited for the storm to pass before looking for a worthy restaurant. The restaurant opposite our accommodation has an all-you-can-eat pizza offer. When we sit down, there is a conversation struggle with the non-English speaking waitress about how it works; I'm used to a buffet-style operation, but the process they implement here is very different. Waiters and waitresses walk around the tables that have opted for the AYCE whenever a fresh pizza has been baked and they hand everyone a slice. It's good because you don't have to move, but you can't choose the pizza type and you have to wait for them to come round. Rachelle didn't like having to wait to eat more. I didn't mind.

In the evening we headed to a couple of bars. One on the beach and one not. Opposite the latter of the bars, Rachelle and I noticed a strange and somewhat scary place. It was another bar, but ladyboy employees were outside trying to attract people inside. A sign above said 'Ladyboy Show Every Night'. I was surprised to see so many people - men, women and children - going inside. I was very two minded about the thought of going in: On the one hand, I find it strange, but on the other, ladyboy culture is very prominent in Thailand and maybe it would be cultural to see what it's all about.

I immediately regretted being there. It was too weird for me, and too weird for Rachelle too. Ladyboy waiters, or waitresses, or whatever they are, serve drinks from a very expensive menu whilst her (or his?) colleagues are on stage, dancing and miming to pop songs. They couldn't dance in time with each other, and most of them couldn't mime in sync with the songs. I felt sorry for them: The westerners inside the bar hadn't come for the quality of the performance; they were there to see a freak show. Rachelle and I swiftly left after glugging down one drink.

1 comment:

  1. OpenRice is the Yelp of Asia. It shows a city’s most popular restaurants, ratings, menus, booking numbers, and everything in between. It’s widespread
    in Southeast Asia and a better resource than Yelp. It has listings for Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines. The app puts the power of the website at your fingertips.

    ReplyDelete