Sunday 3 July 2011

The New Swimming Shorts

With the pool and beach right on your doorstep, Mui Ne is very much a place to catch our breath from all the moving around and trying to see things. The opportunity to relax is very much welcome and the swimming pool is never busy (no more than two other people in it) and it's even deep enough to do shallow dives into the deep-end. The weather is the perfect weather to lounge and colour our skin. Given these circumstances, it's probably not surprising that all we did today was sit by the pool and swim in it. There was one small pool-related event however, and that was my new Speedo-type-shorts that I purchased yesterday.

I walked down to the pool with my normal swimming shorts over the top of the new ones; a contingency measure in case I decided the small ones were a mistake - I could simply whip the long ones back on if they were. I take the big shorts off, ready for a swim. A deductive mind would have no trouble concluding that i don't usually wear small shorts; if not by the contrasting white upper leg, then by the somewhat embarrassed look on my face. Rachelle says I pull them off: I hope this is true. I find it surprising how much easier swimming is without big, baggy shorts on. Maybe I'll always wear shorts like this. 

In the evening, after our pool day, we went for food. The place we chose wasn't very good. My chicken was tasteless and Rachelle didn't eat her spaghetti carbonara. Rachelle always eats her food, even if it's disgusting, so I knew it must have been really bad. On the way back, we dropped into a shop to buy me another pair of small swimming shorts when a storm began and cut out the power in the shop. The person behind the till had a torch (this kind of thing must happen a lot) so it didn't stop my purchase. We sat in the doorway, waiting for the storm to pass.

The storm didn't pass. It's the first we've had in Vietnam. It hadn't rained until now. The lightning lit up the entire sky and the thunder was loud as rain poured and poured. Eventually we gave up waiting and ran to Joe's Bar for a drink. The power was out there too, but they still served some drinks in candle light. I had a beer and Rachelle had a cola and chocolate ice cream. The storm eventually passed and we went back to our room, picking up a packet of Pringles on the way for Rachelle. She ate them all. I didn't even get one Pringle.

No comments:

Post a Comment